Refrigerator Up Do

Hi Everyone.
I am going to show you how I am starting to up date builder stock appliances when you do not have new appliances in your budget.

Until Terry finds a new job we are on a very tight budget so the builder stock appliances in this town house will have to stay for awhile.  

I thought with very little funds, some creative decor crazy and Terry and his tools,  maybe we could make these appliances look nice and more up to date.

This post is going to be about the Refrigerator Up Do!!!



Remember my post on re purposing Terry's grandmothers cabinet to the empty open space above the refrigerator.
You can see that post here.  I wanted the refrigerator to blend more with the above cabinet.
The refrigerator is just a simple side by side refrigerator.  Nothing  fancy about it.  We actually bought this when we moved in.  The  refrigerator left here was not working and I did not have a budget for all new appliances.  We just wanted to get something simple and white to match the other white appliances.  

We went to the Sears Outlet and found this Kenmore.  I have never been to a Sears Outlet before and a friend told me she got some great deals on nice appliances there.  This Kenmore premium side by side was originally $1800 marked down to $1100 and the day we went in they had an additional 50% off.  So that refrigerator was $550 out the door.  So if you need a temporary fix or top of the line appliances for not a lot of money.  Check out the outlet if you have one near you. They carry all brands from top of the line on down.  

 They are marked down sometimes just because of a ding or dent.  This one had a dent on the side but it is up against the cabinet so you do not see it.  This also came with all the warranties since it is a new appliance and never used.   It is hit or miss at these outlets but sometimes you can really score.  So this refrigerator will be good until we can budget for new appliance down the road.


So we began this refrigerator make over with taking off the handles.

We found this very inexpensive trim at Home Depot.  


Here is the trim put on the original handles.  Terry wet the trim and then attached and molded it to the handles.  Pretty clever.  Now I could use the original handles and just dress them up a little bit.

Now even with the refrigerator having a cabinet feel and the new trim pieces it still felt ho hum to me.  




Yep!  It needs something on that long door to feel finished and tie into the cabinet above.  So........
Added a  trimmed out chalk board.

So the refrigerator has trim and a new chalk board to give a little character.  So for less than $30 I have given the refrigerator a little face lift.  After looking at this refrigerator for a little bit I still felt it needed the trim to stand out more!
Yep! I got the eye roll from Terry when I said that out loud!!!

So we brushed on the ebony stain and then wiped it with a cloth to give a vintage gray effect to the trim and door



So now the refrigerator has a little more gray in it that brings out the trim and off sets the refrigerator from the light gray walls.





We had enough trim pieces to trim out the pantry door too.

Adding a little bit of inexpensive trim to the stock pantry doors just took it up a notch.  It gives a more finished look to boring flat white doors.  
I decided the pantry door too did not stand out on it's own with the new painted trim.  So out came the stain and after we stained it and rubbed it out we added a white wash treatment
This is an up close picture of the pantry door.  You can see the texture the stain gave to the white paint. 

I did the same stain treatment to the pantry door and trim as the refrigerator.  Again good pictures during a cloudy day are a challenge.  Sorry this looks a little washed out.


Now I am on a roll.  Next challenge the dishwasher.

Hope you have a great start to the new week.  Our temps here in Illinois have dropped to the 70's.  Just beautiful open the windows weather now.  I know fall is on its way.
Kris
:)

57 comments

  1. Kris, I wish you and Terry would try out for your own show on HGTV. :) I love the make overs. Can't wait to see that dish washer. Super deal on the refrigerator. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another very creative transformation. You've definitely given your refrigerator and pantry doors some needed personality. Well done!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two amaze me with your creativity. These two makeovers look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two sure are getting good ideas. It looks just great!! I love your new home, even if I don't Always leave a coment.
    Have a nice day.
    Love Elzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The refrigerator looks so new and pretty ♥ Nice work you two ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen anyone put stain on an appliance before. That certainly set yours apart! It's great that you're finding ways to create one of a kind looks with your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris, what a great idea or I should say ideas. I would have never thought of that. I bet that Kenmore lasts forever. My mom has had hers forever and loves all her Kenmore appliances. It's the only brand she will buy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are so creative! I think that it looks great and I have to agree with Kim, Kenmore is the way to go. We had a Kenmore in our first house and it ran forever, no problems. In the new house I opted for KitchenAid. Turns out Kenmore is made by the same company. Well, one was a clunker and the other is ok, so far, but I should've stuck with the Kenmore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, now I'd never have thought of that, but it looks fantastic!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is cool. I also have been eyeballing the fridge to upgrade. I did the inside and it is so pretty! (made a post about that) lolol....but for your fridge doors now that you've painted it, you can add more of that "decorative wooden trim" paint them and glue them on to each corner or simply one nice oval in the center of the doors? Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a creative way of thinking, Kris!
    I love how you take the ordinary, and make it extraordinary...I am so inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice way to dress up the fridge! Love it.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the enhanced fridge and pantry! I found my self chuckling when reading about Terry's eye roll and how one project leads to another and another. Love how you two work so well together! Can't wait to see the finished dishwasher. Now you got me thinking about digging through my stash of trim to see what I can do with my fridge and dishwasher. I won't get any eye rolls from hubby, cause I won't ask him to help...he'll just get to see it after completed LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 😉 I was waiting... I knew you'd do something to the dishwasher and was thinking I might copy it. We put in all new appliances this past winter. Went from cream to white. But they need something. Hmmmmm... you have my brain going. Can hardly wait for the dishwasher redo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so clever! I remember that last time you did your dishwasher and it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love what you did with the frig and pantry....I would have never thought to add trim but it looks great. Can't wait to see what you do with the dishwasher now!
    Have a great week!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so creative, your new trasformation is such gorgeous
    HUgs Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so clever, Kris - I would've never thought to embellish a refrigerator like that! Hope you are loving your new place.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Kris, you are the cleverest! Adding trim and stain to the refrigerator??? Now that is a fabulous idea and it turned out great. Waiting to see the dishwasher! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brave and clever! I love how it turned out- it blends in nicely with the rest of the room. Same treatment for the dishwasher?
    I'm jealous that you can open the windows and get a cool breeze! Have a great week! xoxo, T.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kris stellar enhancements, just stunning. From stock builder grade to full personality and interest - Bravo your new re dos are inventive and marvelous. Love it, really love it. Us too in Philadelphia in the lower 70's and loving the weather.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  22. You two are the perfect match! Great new look!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks fantastic! I love the trim on the fridge and the stain is the icing on the cake! It's amazing what a little bit of trim can do to amp up the "wow" factor. Can't wait to see what you do with the dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Terry does such terrific work, Kris! No one will ever have a refrigerator like yours. I like all that you've done to the above cabinet, the closet doors, and the frig. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You and Terry amaze me. The fridge looks awesome as well as the pantry door. I just love all you've done with your new home! So many great ideas and changes---how you inspire all of us! :-D

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear, dear KRIS!!!!!!! You amaze me. YOU DO! And my friend Violet (if you went to my blog to meet her) has taken on a similar challenge. She spray-painted her red Kitchenaid mixer AQUA!!!!! I admire you all who can take on this kind of a challenge. My husband, as open and generous as he is would not like me painting appliances, but you gave this fridge the best LIFT! BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good Morning Kris
    Love love love the Frig and pantry door. You have such a magical touch, you just always make everything look so beautiful. I would never have thought of doing that to the handles on the frig, that is so clever. I can't wait to see what you will do with the dishwasher. I loved how your old one looked in your other house so I am sure this one will be gorgeous also.
    hugs to Cooper for me
    love deezie

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! I just love what you have done with your fridge and the pantry door. You two are so talented.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would have never thought of doing something like this, Kris, but it really does add so much to your kitchen basics! I agree with Susie on the first comment...you two should try out for your own HGTV show!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You and Terry are some team. Love the transformation and adding the stain gave it a vintage and more character and love the knob. Stay on your roll

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this transformation! How do you attach the trim and the framed chalkboard to the appliance?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mdf board and trim is attached where the handles attach so we did not have to put any more holes in the refrigerator if we want to take that off ever.
      Kris

      Delete
  32. You two are a force to be reckoned with!!! They look perfect in your place. Love your mouse from your last post too. You need a little witchy to balance things out. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Tracy. Love that witch. I am putting up a post on my decor tomorrow so come back and see where witchy lands.
      Hugs,
      Kris

      Delete
  33. Absolutely amazing! How do you think of these things? :) What a difference and both look beautiful! I wish you were my neighbor...for many reasons! Kenmore appliances last forever!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  34. You got a fantastic deal on your new fridge. Way to go!
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  35. I agree with what Susie said in the first comment - to heck with the fire department, get your own show on HGTV!!
    Can't wait to see what you do with the dishwasher now having seen what a transformation you gave the fridge. We've been buying our appliances at Sears Outlets for years. Great way to save some $$$$

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have seen some creative ideas like yours on pinterest and internet for re-doing fronts of refrigerators and dishwashers,

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Kris, what an incredible makeover for your refrigerator. Love the vintage look and the trim added so much. Such a great idea to update the handles. You two are amazing. Can't wait to see what you do with the dishwasher. You're going to have everyone wanting to update their appliances. Love this. Have a great week sweet friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Kris, what an incredible makeover for your refrigerator. Love the vintage look and the trim added so much. Such a great idea to update the handles. You two are amazing. Can't wait to see what you do with the dishwasher. You're going to have everyone wanting to update their appliances. Love this. Have a great week sweet friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  39. Kris, you amaze me, and why not, you are amazing! Love the fridge and the blackboard was just the finish it needed. I'm not worried about the dishwasher, you did do another amazing job on the one you had before!..Happy Tuesday..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  40. Super redo, Kris. Glad to see you are making 'home' of your new place. Grins, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  41. Now, Now, what to do with my huge Black refrig/freezer?? Your new Up Done Refrigerator Freezer is great, just like everything you and Terry do! Can't wait to see what you do with This dishwasher :) Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  42. If Terry doesn't find a fire position, he should start Junk Chic Cottage home renovations.

    I love it all and can't wait to see the dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  43. It makes such a big difference for so little money, Kris. Very well done, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  44. So nice af differenc and so lovly to look at.
    Can't wait to see the dishwasher.
    Beautiful job

    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Kris! I love what you did to your refrigerator! They often are the "white elephant" in the kitchen and building a whole cabinet for them can be difficult and expensive! I love how some trim and stain and imagination turned yours into a asset! I remember your up do on your old dishwasher - it was gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you do to this new one! Enjoy your lovely cool temps! Hugs,Leena

    ReplyDelete
  46. You are fearless Kris!! You just dive right in and your ideas come together beautifully! I am looking forward to reading and catching up with your renovations of your new cottage :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. This was a brilliant idea. The refrigerator now looks like it was custom made to fit your style!

    ReplyDelete
  48. You never cease to amaze me - it looks TERRIFIC - you guys need to go on HGTV. You would be a hit.

    Have a wonderful weekend, sounds like your having great weather there.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  49. You two never cease to amaze me...LOVE it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This is really nice post works well and easy to configure...thanks for all info.
    patch work rugs in abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about
    furniture dubai dragon mart

    ReplyDelete
  52. When you use a genuine service, you will be able to provide instructions, share materials and choose the formatting style. SubZero, Viking Ice Maker Repair Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! Viking , Wolf, Dacor Stove & Range Repair Near Me

    ReplyDelete

sponsor