Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger


Jane from Bluebird 1959



Hi Everyone!  I am beyond excited to have been asked by sweet Kris to be part of her Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger series over at Junk Chic Cottage.  It is such a fun series and I love learning more about bloggers that I have followed for years and others that are new to me.  Thank you Kris!

Hmm...about me?  The basics: My name is Jane, the blogger behind Bluebird 1959.  I live in a small town in southeastern Wisconsin, with my husband of 33 years.  We also have one daughter, 24, who just recently moved to Virginia to pursue her graduate degree at Virginia Tech. This past Sunday we adopted a new puppy named Palmer.  He will be guest posting on my blog from time to time. Check out the first installment of Pawsin' With Palmer.  


 I work part time in the reading department of the high school my husband, daughter and I attended (not simultaneously, ha ha!).


I am a home decor blogger and I like to share the different updates, projects and and things I have going on around my house.  I have tried many variations of home decor over the years, but always come back to vintage and farmhouse style.  It's just me. It's in my DNA.  You see, as a kid, my parents would sell "antiques" and other assorted junk to help supplement my dad's mail carrier salary. They would buy estates full of all sorts of treasures and sell them at the local flea market on Sunday. It was so fun to sort through the ever changing things they would find.

My dad was definitely an American Picker kind of guy and was forever finding deals and bringing home treasures. Our house decor and furniture was an ever changing kaleidoscope of finds. (At one point, my older brothers refused to move another bedroom set  up to my room because I had had so many!)  My dad had so much enthusiasm for his finds that it was hard not to get excited about them. 

Out of the five of us kids, I think I am the one who caught the biggest antique bug and I still enjoy hitting up flea markets, junk shops and thrift sales.  Looking through my blog archives, I do tend to haunt those places quite frequently.
 

Color wise, I love dark, jewel tones, which sometimes makes me feel a bit lonely in blog land! I've tried to go to "the other side" and I was miserable and uninspired in my own home.  I love the bloggers - like Kris - who have a neutral palette.  There is so much beauty to it and I get the simplicity and convenience of a neutral scheme.  For me - for my house - though,  I am a color craver!


However, I have started to embrace some toning down in my decor, especially in my wall colors.  I am really liking a fresher, cleaner and airier feel, and I have made some dramatic changes to our first floor that I will share in a reveal soon.


On a personal level, after a freak health scare last year (which I have shared on my blog), I have been on a weight loss journey and have lost nearly 110 pounds.  I feel so much better and continue to work at my progress. 

Before:


Early this summer:


I hope you have enjoyed reading a bit about my story and I hope you will pop over and pay me a visit at my blog....the door is always open!

Thanks, Kris, for the lovely invitation to be part of your awesome blogging series.

Jane is as sweet as ever and you will love taking a trip over to her blog Bluebird 1959.  Thank you Jane for doing Spotlight this week and sharing yourself and family and that sweet little Palmer.  Just adorable.
Happy Saturday Everyone.
Have a great week end.
Kris
:)

23 comments

  1. A congratulations to Jane for the health progress! YAY! And a hello to you, Kris! Happy weekend, ladies! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! Jane looks like my kind of girl in her style and blog. Congrats on getting so healthy Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris, Thanks for featuring Jane. She has much to celebrate with the weight loss...we all know that's not easy. I will pop over to her blog. Hope you are enjoying the weekend, blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked reading the post and learning about Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kris,
    Wonderful to meet Jane! I'm sure I'll love her blog.
    I'm on my way there now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Kris and Jane.
    I look forward to getting to know Jane and her Bluebird 1959. I love color too but have also been feeling a desire to bring it into a little more controlled state. And I'll certainly be looking for inspiration from her weight loss story because it is the hardest thing in the world, when you love cooking and eating!

    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Jane for doing Spotlight today. It was fun to feature you. I have some of the best bloggers that come to read this Spotlight Feature so I hope you meet some new friends. Thanks for sharing yourself with all of us.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris happy Saturday. You introduced us to an adorable sweet blogger today - thanks. Jane I applaud your weight loss, you go girl! Palmer is beyond adorable and I know I'll enjoy his special posts. I'm heading over to check out your blog right now. BTW my love of Tuscany and living in Philadelphia my chosen house colors and textures reflect warmth and historic charm. Color in a house is always a deep personal reflection of what gives us joy and somehow after reading your spotlight even before I head over I know your house reflects a happy home and pride.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the introduction. I am looking forward to meeting Palmer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She sounds like someone after my own heart: a high school teacher who loves color!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane is someone I need to get to know. I love color also! Palmer is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great spotlight post Kris!! Thank you so much...I will be checking out Jane's blog! Hope you are having a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to meet Jane today! We have a lot in common -- we are both teachers, love vintage and old things, and have a sweet dog. I visited Bluebird 1959 today, and I'm looking forward to reading some posts from adorable Palmer! All best --
    Joanne @ Sea Glass Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kris! It has been so much fun being spotlighted this week. I can't wait to meet all of the sweet new friends who took the time to comment. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, Jane, on taking control of your health situation, a journey that holds you in good stead! Coming over to visit....(thanks, Kris).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jane! You look great and you know I love your colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Kris for introducing us to Jane. Heading over to her blog now for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love knowing you more and more Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to meet another blogger who loves color in her home! Nice getting to know Jane! Will head over to hear blog for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Jane and her blog! It was great to learn a little bit more about her and her family. I imagine it must have been wonderful to have the kind of parents who loved the thrill of the hunt and valued the older things!!
    Jane is a real inspiration and I try to never miss a post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A great Spotlight! Thank you for sharing. I am heading over to visit Jane.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice to meet you and your lovely family too Jane...I am with you..a person who loves color!...Seems like antiquing stayed with you from early childhood...me too!...A great feature Kris!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great article this is very informative .......keep posting Thanks Regards
    printed door mats in abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete

sponsor