Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger




 Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger is a feature done each Saturday that introduces you to a blogger you may already know or a new blogger for you to get to know. This feature gives you a peak into the personal life of the blogger.  Getting to know the special person behind the beautiful blog.

There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland so enjoy getting to know these talented bloggers each Saturday.


Linda: It all started with Paint
January 10th




Good Morning.  Happy Saturday.  I am excited to introduce you to a fellow Chicagoan.  Linda from It all started with Paint blog.  Sit back and enjoying meeting Linda and seeing her beautiful 100 year old home in the City of Chicago.  So beautiful every room.  You will feel like you are flipping through your favorite decor magazine as you read her feature.  After you have gotten to know Linda please hop over to her lovely blog and Etsy Shop.  Have a wonderful week end.
Kris







Hello Junk Chic Cottage readers! I'm humbled, honored, and so excited to be spotlighted here on Saturday Spotlight! Thank you so much Kris for sharing me with your friends and fans!   

 My name is Linda and I blog at It All Started with Paint …


New Button PNG file
I’m a born-and-bred Jersey girl who currently lives in Chicago with my husband, two children, and beagle Ernie. And when I say “currently,” I don’t mean we just moved here. In fact, my husband is a born-and-bred-Midwesterner. And my kids are official “L” train-riding Chicago city kids.   You see, I’ve been here since 1993.   And in 1995, my husband and I bought our first home.With a 5-7 year plan in mind.   chicago-wood-frame-house-3   And here we remain, closing on 20 years later!   I started my blog a few years ago to document my efforts as I redecorate our home, room-by-room, on a very tight budget. It was slow going at first, but I made some real progress in 2014. In fact, I’m just one room away from starting all over again!   I kid you not. Winking smile I thought it would be appropriate to start this tour at the front door. Which I like to dress up for the holidays. Here’s one of my favorites, my Halloween porch …   chicago-front-porch-makeover-10 2 2   And I share how I painted that no-math-required diamond patterned porch rug here.   Once inside, you’ll be greeted by my board and batten entry. This space used to be very, very sad. A poor first impression. And a wasted use of space. But now it’s not only pretty … it's functional too. With plenty of hooks for coats and backpacks and hats ...   board and batten foyer   After we installed the faux board and batten wall treatment in the entry -- using only hammers, nails, and lots of hard-earned sweat equity – I made an executive decision that I needed it EVERYWHERE!   So the next day I ran out to the home improvement store and bought a brad nail gun and compressor.   I kid you not.   I’ve gone a bit batty for board and batten. It just seems to suit our 100+ year old home. So I installed it in our remodeled living room …   navy-white-living-room watermarked   I just love how the navy pops against the crisp white board and batten ...   navy-white-living-room-13   And I installed it in our remodeled dining room …   dining_room_board_batten_navy_white watermarked   A remodel inspired by my amazing navy and white striped rug …   dining_room_navy_white_iron_chandelier   When you turn around, you’ll see I haven’t installed board and batten in our kitchen …   kitchen from dining room watermarked The kitchen.   *Sigh*   Where it all started. And where the blog name came from. My “honey, I think I’m going to paint the walls in the kitchen” steamrolled into a new quartz counter top and new glass tile back splash and new sink and faucet and ripping out and replacing the rotted out sink basin and me painting the builder-grade oak cabinets …   kitchen-5 watermarked Funny thing … I’m gearing up to give the kitchen a second makeover. Tee hee. Don't tell my husband. ;)   I see chunkier top molding on the cabinets. I see a lighter cabinet color palette. I see a chalkboard wall. I see subway tile. I see exposed shelving. I see making better use of that load-bearing wall that separates the kitchen from the dining room.   Yes. It will be a big project in 2015!   Then there’s the teeny, tiny first floor powder room.   It got in on the board and batten action as well ...   Powder Room Makeover After Hanging Basket[4]   But it’s probably best known for my painted bathroom sink …   Powder Room Makeover After Faucet That’s right. I actually painted the sink …   Yeah. I’m crazy like that!   This past year, I finally finished the remodel of our family/sun room. This space was looking a ripped and ragged after 14 years of love. So this was a top-to-bottom redo. Paint. Rugs. Curtains. Bamboo blinds. A new Ikea sectional … blue-white-tan-room-makeover-7 2 2   It’s officially our favorite space in the house! {You can explore more of the family room by clicking here …}   Although, for me, the new work space/craft nook I carved out for myself in the basement runs a close second.   chalkboard-wall-sawhorse-desk-craft-space-5   You can find out more about my industrial look workspace by clicking here.   To wrap up the first floor tour, one of our favorite places to be in the summer months is on the screen porch.   navy-white-outdoor-porch-12   A refuge for us Chicago dwellers. A place we dream about for nine {and some years, ten} months out of the year. Depending on the polar vortex … Smile You can see more of my home tour and room remodels by visiting my Home Tour tab on my blog {click here}. And when you’re there, be sure to check out my project galleries for my crafts, recipes, and sewing projects.   Oh, and I have a second blog too. Mason Jar Crafts Love. It’s all about the millions of things people do with their mason jars ...   mason jar button for paint sidebar blue square that doesn’t involve canning! Smile Thank you Kris for featuring me at Saturday Spotlight! Again, I’m honored and humbled!

Thank you Linda for sharing yourself and your beautiful home with all of us.  It was a sweet pleasure to have a fellow Chicago blogger to Spotlight this week.  :)

28 comments

  1. Thank you, Kris. I've recently met Linda...she's a neighbor of ours! We have to meet her this year in person. I love her home and I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen so much of it. Linda, you really do have a talent with paint and you have me dreaming of board and batten in a few rooms. And the sunroom, if I could do an addition to my house, that would be it. At least a three season room. Thank you for all the wonderful inspiration. And go for it with the kitchen. Unless you have a full on makeover planned, a little paint and a change out of various fixtures makes a big difference.

    Let's make 2015 the year we all meet up! :)

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I jusy love Linda! She was one of the first bloggers I read regularly, and that was a bunch of years ago! (We even had coffee in Chicago a few years ago. I *heart* Chicago.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Linda! She was one of the first bloggers I read regularly too! I grew up in the Chicago area and am happy to hear about once in a while! I love Linda's projects and her house tour is one of my favorites. So many great ideas and such an enthusiastic DIYer. I need a nail gun! LOL! When it comes to mason jars, she is the queen and I'm always surprised with the ideas she comes up with. I'm also impressed that she can keep up with 2 blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love her home. She is very ambitious, I cannot wait to me what she does next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your very sweet comments! And thank you Kris for opening up your blog to me today!!! I'm honored! :) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful home! Linda is new to me. I had to pop over and follow her. Thank you Kris for another great feature! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful home! Now following you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda has a beautiful home! I love everything she has done and that screened porch is a great retreat. Thanks for sharing Linda with us, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda is so talented and creative. LOVE the board and batten she used throughout her home. And I adore her use of color on the walls, rugs...Her home has great style, warmth, family friendly, cozy. Looks like a neighborhood loaded with charm.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris, This has been a fun tour of Linda's home. I love the town, Chicago, very much. I will visit Linda's other blog also. Blessings, stay warm. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun tour and I love the board and batten she uses every where. I love the bold navy too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for letting me get to know Linda. Love all the work she's done to her home.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Saturday Kris! Thank you for introducing Linda to me. I will head over to her blog right now. I find her style playful and creative.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda is multi-talented for sure! I saw her house in the midst of board and batton building. She has done such a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Painting the sink!

    I have never visited It All Started With Paint, but I am headed over to learn more after seeing her beautiful decor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Kris. Linda has a great talent and I will visit her for the first time. Thanks for this feature..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Kris for sharing Linda with us. She's very talented and has a lovely home.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful home! Thanks for sharing another lovely blogger.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a beautiful home and I love the story behind the decorating! I can't wait to see how that kitchen turns out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been a great admirer of Linda and follower since I began blogging!...Linda is the best...she is so very talented and creative and love seeing what she is always creating...whether it is a cool pillow or her remodeling her beautiful home!...Recently I have so loved her new crafting space...Have had the great opportunity to meet and be with Linda on several occasions and she is the best!!..A great feature Kris and so great that you are practically neighbors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kris, Linda has done so much work on her home and the results are beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there Kris, I am so glad that you introduced Linda, she has a beautiful home and a great blog. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kris, I had fun seeing Linda's gorgeous home! The name of her blog sounds familiar, but I don't think I have visited it before. Hopping over.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy seeing what others have done to update their houses.THis was a good tour for sure.
    Love the black and white porch floor

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed this spotlight very much, Kris. Linda is new to me, so I'll pop over and say "hi" and follow. Also want to see more of her gorgeous home. I just love the navy and white, and all that fabulous board and batten. Thanks for choosing to feature her. Excellent choice. xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the porch entrance and the small back porch! Colorful and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. linda's home is so lovely, kris! she is one of the first blogs i found when i started blogging:) tfs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kris thanks for sharing. Linda is so talented. She always has beautiful things to look a . Her home is grea . Love the screened in porch and craft space! Way to go Linda!

    ReplyDelete

sponsor