Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger




Susan from Must Love Junk, and myself wanted to do a regular feature on our blogs, something unique that hasn't been done before.   So we came up with an idea to 'spotlight the real life behind the blogger' in a more personal way.
There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland, and we thought it would be fun to bring you a closer look at the person behind the blog.

Every week on Saturday we will spotlight a blogger and have them tell us a little bit about themselves and their blogs.  You will be able to see and read about each of the bloggers on both Susan's and my blog. 
November 1
Sandi from Wayside Treasures

Good Saturday to all of you.  This week in Spotlight I have a wonderful blogger Sandi from Wayside Treasures.    Sandi lives in my home state of Michigan and her love of whites and all things vintage and chippy drew me to get to know her better.  So sit back and enjoy getting to know Sandi.





I feel so honored that Kris chose to include me in the blogger Spotlight this week and
I want to give you all a warm Michigan welcome! I will try to tell you a little about my
family and I as we go along.


My name is Sandi and I make my blog home over at Wayside Treasures. I was born
and raised in Ohio, but migrated north to Michigan when hubby and I got married.
Not too far north though. We only live about 7 miles from where I grew up and where
my parents still live, so we didn't go very far.


I do love blogging, but I find that I don't have near as much time for it as
I used to have. Life just seems to happen and flow along and before I know it,
sometimes it is weeks between blog posts. Trying to work on that. :)


Please do come on in, take off your jacket {it is chilly here in Michigan}
 and sit awhile while we chat. 




I thought we could start at the coffee bar in the corner of my kitchen. After all isn't it
coffee that makes the world go round? Seriously, I am really not a coffee drinker, but I
 do love a good latte or mocha once in awhile, but no plain coffee for me.  I am also a
huge fan of Starbucks green tea with raspberry syrup frappuccino...to die for delicious! 



Grab yourself a plate because I have some goodies to share with you!





How about a fresh apple crisp right out of the oven? I do love the smell of apples
baking in the fall. There is nothing like it..except maybe warm spiced apple cider!


It  does taste yummy if I don't say so myself!!!




Or would you rather have a lemon pound cake slice?


 I think I will just let you have both since I am feeling generous today. :)




We will sit here at our dining room table that is decorated for fall and just chat
the day away if that is okay? I thought so. :)



After we finish eating we can stroll outside where we find more fall decor.


I found a plentiful supply of bittersweet right at the edge of our property this year and I am
beyond thrilled! I am usually a "neutral color" gal , but when fall hits, I must have some
 sprigs of bittersweet or it just doesn't seem right.


My mom decorated with this when I was a youngster and I continue the tradition.




We have misty mornings{ along with fog delays for school kiddos} quite frequently especially this
time of year, but I love it.



I have been married to my wonderful hubby named Hillis for over 37 years.  We have gotten
  mail and phone calls addressed to or asking for PHYLLIS.  Isn't that a hoot? I can see why people
would think it is that name though.   Together we have three children , their spouses and eight
 grandchildren. Almost nine...any day now!
{ I am sure by the time you read this we will have had number nine in our arms}


Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I think of my age. {55, but who's counting! lol}
 It just doesn't seem possible! Where have the years gone? I still feel like I am 25 years
old on the inside...we won't talk about the outside.ha!


My youngest son and his family were the only children who lived close to us and they moved
 away in June. I try to keep myself busy as I miss them so very much. One thing I have been doing
 is creating the fabric pumpkins shown above. They have real dried stems and I am addicted!


They are all the rage right now and I just love to make them.


{I have some stocked in my Etsy store if you are interested}




I have been fortunate to be a stay at home mom/wife my whole life. Oh, there were those few
 stints right after we were married that I worked at a greenhouse and I also ran a store for
a friend while she vacationed in Florida for a couple weeks, but that was a long time ago.


Do you ever remember seeing huge clear balloons that sit on a table and are filled inside
with teddy bears etc. for gift giving? Yep, I made those in her store. Fun memories! But
 I will say that when my kiddos came along I just wanted to be a mom and take care of
them and I was lucky to be able to do that.


The above photo is a floor to ceiling chalk board in our home that hubby and I just finished
 a few weeks ago. {This is my studio/computer room} We had removed an outside door
several years ago and put up a piece of drywall where it used to be, but that is as far as we
got. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but it hit me one day to make a chalkboard.
So we did!


I love it!



This is my youngest son and his family along with yours truly and my hubby. They were home from
North Dakota in October and we visited a corn maze that is about 3 miles from our home. We first
 did this last year and I would love to make it a yearly tradition. It is so fun. I put together a collage
of the girls while they were here and it is shown below.
We filled every single moment with memories. 




Our oldest son Jason and his wife Melissa have two sweeties named Keira and Kanaan.
They are also expecting a third due October 20 so by the time you read this we will
have grandchild number nine.  Jason works at Huntington University in Huntington, Indiana,
 where he graduated from in 2003, as a computer tech guy. He is also the praise and
worship leader at his church and does a fantastic job!






This little blonde above is our granddaughter Keira. I was privileged to spend Grandparents Day
with her at her school a few weeks ago in Indiana and it was a fun day!



The stunning beauty above is our oldest granddaughter Allysha who is 15.  She is extra special to us
because she lived with us until she was four years old and I took care of her while her mama worked.
{Her mama is our only daughter and our oldest child. Amanda and her husband have four kiddos.
Three boys and Allysha. Her hubby works as an engineer for GM }


 It was sure hard when they moved about 3 hours away, but somehow we managed. {barely!} She
 has sure grown into a tall and beautiful young lady.


Do you see a running theme here? Everyone is moving away! What is up with that? I think
they should all live within three miles of us...okay maybe five would do. 




I snapped a few more photos in the house to share with you. The lantern above sits in front
 of my living room window. Right now it is filled with pumpkins,leaves and pine-cones. 




This is one corner of my living room. We had new carpet laid in September and I love it. It is berber
and is so nice. New furniture is next on the list and I am so excited. We have had this furniture for many,
many years and it is time to go. Underneath that throw is a country blue love-seat. ugh. I loved it way
back when, but not now.




A favorite corner in my dining room. I love to bring garden statuary into my home.



We have a pine tree that gives us a LOT of pine-cones so I collect them every year and use them in
my fall and winter decor.




My studio is full and overflowing so I thought I would share just a small corner with you.  This also has
a berber carpet and it works well. In a perfect world , I would have all hardwood floors, but it is really
 not an option in our old house as cold as the winters get here. The living room and the studio must
 have carpet under foot.


Our home is small and over 100 years old. Along with that comes problems that one must deal with,
 but we have lived here over 32 years and even with all the problems, I  can't imagine living
anywhere else. We are situated on a dirt road about 3/4 mile off a main highway. When we moved
 here in 1982 we were told they were going to pave the road. Yea...we are still waiting.
 Not gong to happen.


I hope you enjoyed getting to know me a little better. Oh , wait. I forgot to tell you that instead of
having a traditional wedding, hubby and I eloped 8 days before our planned wedding! I called the
wedding off not sure of what I really wanted and decided I wanted him after all...so we eloped!
Yea, it's a long story, but it worked! God is good!!!


Blessings~

Thank you Sandi for sharing yourself and your family with us.  This was so fun to get to know you better.  I love seeing your love for your family come through with this feature.  So sweet.  I grew up in Michigan and know the state well.  Even though I have lived in Chicago area for over 35 years I still miss Michigan.  Thanks for sharing with all of us.  Now that you have gotten to know Sandi a little better head over to Susan's blog and meet another wonderful blogger Pat from Gypsy Heart and Soul.
Happy Week End.
Enjoy.
Kris
:)

23 comments

  1. What a great new friend! Sandi has a beautiful home and family and through her words it seems she has a sweet spirit. Thank you for sharing her with us, Kris! Happy Weekend :) Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the bar was attached to the main hall, where our friends felt right at home! My husband and I will be forever grateful to these guys, who were so great to work with. Thanks, we love you!
    Wedding venues

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great family story, Sandi. Your writing of your marriage, your home (even the loveseat, lol) and your family and their standing the tests of time gives hope to family values continuing in this world of uncertainty. Kudos! Thanks, Kris, another home run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, down-to-earth person you found here, Kris. Love her sweet self and will pop over to her blog. Thanks- I read every word! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandi has such a wonderful life and very sweet family! Love getting to know her better.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for featuring me Kris! It has been fun getting to know other bloggers through your Saturday spotlight too! I can't always comment because of our indecisive internet (lol), but I try to read them all. As I type this, I am getting ready to head home. I spent five days with my daughter and her family in Burton, Michigan. Busy time for sure and shopping! Ha!
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kris... so nice to see my friend Sandi here today!... Sandi and I have been friends since we began our blogs a number of years ago... she has got to be the sweetest, most down to earth... REAL lady I know!... her posts are filled with beautiful photos and she has a darling sense of humor too... I love her little farmhouse on her little dirt road and visit there often.. (I wish in person, but on our blogs for now!)... and I am happy to say I own a number of her exquisite creations... she is such a talented artist and craftslady!... my most recent is one of her stunning white velvet pumpkins... if you love velvet pumpkins, I would grab one of hers fast while she still has some for sale!... Hello Sandi!... love you sweet friend!... xoxo... Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to meet Sandi! I'm going to visit her now! Happy November Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris, what an awesome blogger. I enjoyed getting to know her. Will be visiting for sure. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris, I know Sandi. She's kind with a good heart. We have blogged back and forth for some time. She lives near Shipshewana, Indiana..I hope to see her one as my daughter lives near there also... We just missed one another once in Tipton at Horton's ..as you and I have. You'll have to get Sandi to do a post on her summer yard, she is so good at decorating. Blessings to all, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kris, thanks for introducing me us sweet blogger Sandi. Sandi, oh how I'd love a slice of lemon pound cake!!! I will visit your blog soon.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was great to learn more about Sandi, Kris! Thanks so much for sharing her here. I always enjoy visiting her blog. I did feel like we were sitting down and chatting away. : )

    Beautiful grandchildren! I'm sorry they are all moving. Thankfully, when we moved to Ohio from Long Island three years ago my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were able to make the move, too. It is much more affordable for them here, too. My son got his first job after getting his Masters not far from us either (also in Ohio - UC) but it seems like it will only be for this school year. I am trying not to jump ahead and get anxious that he will be moving to another state, since we just got him here this Summer. I'm trying to enjoy the times I do get to have them all together with me.

    I just turned 51 (yesterday) and am the same way. I don't know where the years went. It seems like just yesterday I was 31, with my own small children! Now I have a 4 year old granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great feature, Kris! Sandi, your home is gorgeous as is your family. You are so very blessed to have so many grandchildren! Making precious memories with them is such an incredible part of life. I'll be by to check out your blog and more of your home ~ and those beautiful pumpkins!

    Stop by and say hi when you can ~
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sandi, it's great getting to know you better and to meet your wonderful family! I love your style and your sweet blog...thanks for sharing! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kris, Sandi's home is lovely and she has a beautiful family! I am on my way to browse her blog.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sandi, it's nice to meet you here with Kris. You make beautiful things! It was nice learning about you and you family and very nice thinking about having an apple crisp and lemon cake.
    Would it be rude to ask for both? And do you deliver? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Sandi's style! What a pretty home, and great looking family. That is so funny about how she and her husband eloped! Oh, and the fact that she is from Michigan is even better:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sandi, so nice to meet you. Your home is beautiful and I love all your special and inspiring touches. I too am from Michigan but now live in Texas. Your family is lovely.

    Thank you Kris for introducing us to another fabulous blogger. Happy November!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fun to meet Sandi and see her 100 year old house. And also Karen who won your giveaway. So far I have 3 new blogs to check out this morning and I am sure there will be a 4th after I visit Must Love Junk.

    Stay warm today! KC posted pictures from the game last night at Soldier Field and it looked COLD.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed meeting Sandi and appreciated her personal, down-to-earth post. She has such a lovely family. I'm off to visit her blog. Thanks, Kris! xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing another great blogger. Her home is very beautiful and her family is fantastic.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks for sharing your story, sandi! love your cute pumpkins! thanks, kris!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice to meet Sandi....I love her home and her beautiful pumpkins that she has made...not to mention those yummy desserts!...Such a great photo of the family.....and my regards to Phyllis...oh, I mean Hillis!!!...great feature Kris...have a wonderful week Kris and Sandi!

    ReplyDelete

sponsor