Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger



Susan from Must Love Junk, and myself wanted to do a regular feature on our blogs, something unique that hasn't been done before.   So we came up with an idea to 'spotlight the real life behind the blogger' in a more personal way.
There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland, and we thought it would be fun to bring you a closer look at the person behind the blog.

Every week on Saturday we will spotlight a blogger and have them tell us a little bit about themselves and their blogs.  You will be able to see and read about each of the bloggers on both Susan's and my blog. 
Melanie from Sweet Melanie

Happy Saturday.  This week I am going to introduce you to Melanie from Sweet Melanie.  Melanie is one of the first blogs I followed before I started my blog.  I immediately bonded with Melanie and her blog.  We share the love of shabby chippy chic.
If you do not already know Melanie and her blog please hope over and check it out after getting to know her better here in Spotlight.






What a treat it is for me to be able to share a little about myself and my life thanks to Kris....thank you so much Kris!

First I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Melanie (~Sweet Melanie~).  So nice to meet you!

I live in the Capitol city of West Virginia which is Charleston.


We have a beautiful Capitol and a beautiful state!  I have traveled all over the United States but have "never" wanted to live any place but here.  



I grew up in a small town called Ansted.  It is close to Hawks Nest and the New River which is a major attraction for tourists for it's rapid waters and white water rafting.


We have a celebration day called "Bridge Day" that thousands travel to,  to participate in some unique festivities such as parachuting off of the New River Gorge Bridge.  It is the longest and highest steel arched bridge in the Western Hemisphere.  I was just a little girl when they started building it in 1977.  

Our state is absolutely stunning any time of year.
Can you tell I am proud of our little state?

As the song goes that John Denver sang, "Country roads take me home to a place I belong, West Virginia, mountain mama, take me home, country roads".


I also love the different seasons we have.  I am truly a Winter gal though, then Spring, Fall and last Summer.  I hate being hot, lol!


Our home sits on little over one acre all by itself up against a mountain.  I absolutely love living here.  Our home was built in the late 90's and we have done so many updates to make it to our liking and to function for us.  If you all know me, I truly love flowers!  Especially Peonies or any that are pink!

I married my high school sweetheart at the age of 21 and we've been married for 23 years which is such a blessing to me! We dated 3 and a half years so all together, we've been together for 26 and a half years. We have two beautiful daughters which are the apple of my eye!  I have dedicated my life to them, stayed home to raise them while my sweetheart brings home the bacon.  lol 


We've shared good and bad times throughout our marriage with health problems and family issues.  But as the Good Book says, God always works to the good for those that love the Lord....and that is what He has always done.  I couldn't imagine my life without Him in it!  He is my rock and I thank Him daily for blessing me with my little family!

My mom is who I share everything with on a daily basis.  We live an hour apart which kills the both of us!  But we call each other everyday numerous times and we share photos of things we've done, online.  It definitely helps fill in those miles.  I love her dearly!  We've had our share of ups and downs but God definitely has done a work with the both of us!


I have always had a knack for decorating, creating ect. since I can remember.  I always made my own Barbie furniture from blocks of wood and magazines along with dishtowels for bedspreads.  I used silk flowers for trees and even made a swimming pool.  I even had Christmas trees and lights.  Mom still talks about how beautiful my little house was one Christmas.  Creativity definitely flows in my family.  My daughters are truly artists but without the confidence.  Maybe one day they'll realize just how talented they truly are.  I know I sure do!


Thankfully my sweetheart has been wonderful with not being fussy when it comes to our home.  His motto is a happy wife, a happy life.  And as long as he has a full belly, a comfy place to watch TV and relax, he is A-OK!  The girls are the same way but they do enjoy their rooms being pretty and getting makeovers from time to time.
Our dog, Gabe and our cat, Oliver even enjoy it! 



So that's a little about my life...thanks so much for letting me share it with you.


I love our home, my life and my family.  God has been so good to us!





Thank you Melanie for sharing the personal side of you with all of us.  Now that you have met and gotten to know Melanie please hop over to Susan's blog and meet another talented blogger near and dear to me Cindy Cloches and Lavender.
Have a wonderful Weekend.
Kris
:)

36 comments

  1. I absolutely ADORE Melanie. Her blog name fits her perfectly-Sweet Melanie. Now-here is a very strange fact. My daughter's best friend, Tina, is a COUSIN to Melanie! We are in Wisconsin-She is in West Virginia. How odd to be that closely connected to someone through a friend that lives half the country away from you? I hope to meet her one day when she comes to visit her cousins.

    She is a VERY talented gal! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As they say, it's a small world, lol! Thank you Diana for always being so sweet!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Kris, for this great Spotlight. I have been following Melanie since I first started blogging, she is a sweet heart.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Kris, for spotlighting Melanie! Melanie lives less than 20 minutes from me, and I have had the pleasure of purchasing some of her creative projects. She is one of the hardest working gals I know, a great family, and can definitely tackle any DIY project she puts her mind to! She & her hubby, Mike, are a lot like you & Terry, Kris - great partnership, especially with projects. Kudos, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita...you know I love you to death!

      Delete
  4. As the proud mother, I continue to be amazed at the confident faith-filled woman that my "baby" has become. She has transformed from the shy little girl who hid behind my legs when introduced to new people into a wife, mother, and woman who is confident in her God-given talents. Watching her find her passion has made my heart sing. (P.S. I have to tell about the picture with President Reagan. Melanie was with me on a business trip and the life-size cutout was available for photo ops at a local mall that we managed to visit. Her expression speaks volumes about being in the spotlight. I can't help but grin when I see the drastic change from that teenager to the assured woman she is today--one of the many miracles that the Lord has worked in our lives!) Thank you, Kris, for featuring Sweet Melanie--she lives up to her name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara,
      Your daughter is amazing and I can see why you are so proud of her. I followed Melanie's blog before I stated mine and loved that we both love ruffles and shabby chic LOL! I have to agree Melanie does live up to her name. She is the sweetest. I was so excited to feature Melanie.

      Delete
  5. HI Kris, Thank for featuring Melanie. She is sweet too. I visited her site last week and saw how she has decorated, she is amazing. I will be visiting her site now. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris,
    Hope you and Susan always continue your Saturday Spotlight, it is an enjoyable Saturday read. Heading over to look at Melanie's blog... Have a fun day!
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melanie, it's wonderful meeting you and your family, and learning more about you-thanks for sharing! (After seeing pics of your gorgeous home, I can see how you and Kris have a lot in common! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, so nice meeting you too! Thanks to the both of you for being so kind to other bloggers, I appreciate the generosity!

      Delete
  8. Oh I haven't met Melanie before! I love her style and really enjoyed getting to see where she lives. I've never been to West Virginia but it looks like a beautiful state! May need to travel out that way someday. That bridge was amazing!!!! I might be afraid to cross that one. Now, I'll have to go visit her blog. Thanks for introducing her today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly....yes, come for a visit! WV is a almost Heaven as they say and we'd love to have you!

      Delete
  9. It is wonderful meeting Melanie and her family. Thanks for featuring her today. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness. I have got to hop over there and visit her blog. How beautiful! Thanks for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet for you to come for a visit, thank you!

      Delete
  11. I love your post .........your hair is absolutely gorgeous! And such a beautiful family including Gabe and Oliver the fur-babies. ox

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been following Melanie's blog for a little while but it is always fun to get to know bloggers a bit better! Thanks for allowing her to share here today! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melanie is another new blogger to me. The little collage of her decorating style explain why she is one of the first blogs you followed. I see a lot of lovely, romantic white at her house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and it is a pleasure to meet you!

      Delete
  14. A very nice interview. :-)
    And I have to agree, your hair is beautiful.
    xx oo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's nice to "meet" you, Melanie. I really enjoyed reading about your home, family and faith. Your home looks so lovely! I'll be over for a visit soon!

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  16. In fact, the views from the top really are quite beautiful. To summarize, I remember a big room, pretty lights, and pretty views. And the lounge area is nice too.
    reception hall

    ReplyDelete
  17. l love how she and her husband work together on their home! melanie's style is so personal and pretty with tons of white and ruffles--which i love! thanks, kris, for sharing her story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all of her posts she is one talented lady!

    Blessings,
    Amy jo

    ReplyDelete

sponsor