Beautiful Chicago Day

Every year my family and I go downtown Chicago to see the lights and enjoy the city at Christmas time.  This year we did not do our usual outing before Christmas with the temps around here being so  cold.  We waited for a day when we knew the temps would be better and we could all go before all the lights and Christmas came down.


Today was the perfect day 50 degrees!!!!! So we boarded the train and downtown Chicago we went.  

Abby eating her granola bar on the train going into the city.  These pictures were all taken on my Iphone so sorry for the quality.  I did not think to grab my camera before leaving the house.

It was an absolutely beautiful day to walk around the city.  This is a picture of the Chicago River.  It felt like Spring with the temps being in the low 50's.

Abby traveling in style.  I wanted a turn at being pushed through the city in the minnie mouse stroller!!!!

My son in law Tim, my daughter Jen and Abby as we left Union Train Station to start our fun day. 

Me, the hubby and my other daughter Kimmie.  Such a beautiful day.  Little windy as you can see by our hairdo's!

It is always so much fun in the city of Chicago.  On every corner you will find entertainment.  This statue came to life and danced and sang for us.  Abby loved this.

Then one of our traditions is to have dinner at Lawry's.  It is the old McCormick Mansion that is a Prime Rib Restaurant.  Lots of history, great prime rib and a beautiful old mansion.

I tried to get a picture over Tim's head of some of the lovely architecture.  This room was the grand ball room where the McCormick family entertained royalty, presidents and friends.  Again sorry for the quality of the pictures.

This is a shot of the beautiful hand carved staircase that leads to the upstairs of the mansion.  Little Abby is peeking over the rail at the top.

Just a gorgeous spiral stair case.

All of us in front of one of the many Christmas trees throughout the mansion.

Our favorite tradition is to stop and get the yummy famous Garrett's popcorn after dinner.  You wait in line to get in this place for the best ever carmel crisp popcorn or Chicago mix of carmel and cheese.  Yum.  It is fresh and hot and melts in your mouth.  Totally worth the wait in line.


Abby chilling out on the train ride home.  We had a wonderful family day.  It is hard to get firefighters and nurses all on the same day off to enjoy a family day together.  This was truly fun today and to have the break in the weather like we did was so fantastic.  Could not have picked a better day.

We went down the magnificent mile (Michigan Avenue) to see the pretty lights and store fronts.  Then State Street to Macy's to see the windows done up for Christmas and to visit the Kris Kringle Market.  So many wonderful things to do in this grand city.

Next time I will bring my camera and take more pictures. The windows and Christmas decor in the city is so pretty.
If you are ever in Chicago you must try Garretts!! So yummy.

Have a great week end.
Kris

25 comments

  1. Looks like a really fun family day. Those are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny how your day brought back some good memories for me, just like your Christmas card did.

    Christmas 2005 was spent in downtown Chicago. Our son, JP, was getting married on December 28 in Valparaiso, Indiana. KC always acts as the family travel agent. She booked the 3 of us (JP was with his fiance's family) into the Wyndham just off Michigan Avenue for Christmas Eve and Christmas night. We walked down Michigan Avenue on Christmas Eve, but we could not get into any of the fancy restaurants without reservations. The day after Christmas KC and I hit Michigan Avenue to find her a dress for the wedding. She had ordered a dress from JCrew after trying it on in the store. When it arrived in the right color, it did not fit. We actually found a dress at Bloomingdales and had the rest of the morning to shop until we had to meet Steve at a famous pizza place where we had to wait 45 minutes after the pizza was ordered. On the way to the airport on the way home, KC insisted we go to Super Dawg. The hot dogs were great, but we almost missed our planes.

    I bet we walked past and viewed some of the same things your family viewed today.

    I loved looking at all the photos for your kids and Abby.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great pictures and memories. Your pictures brought back so many memories of when I traveled to Chicago. I stayed on Rush Street at the Lenox Hotel and have had dinner in Lawry's many times. Of course always had to have the pop corn. I walked up and down Michigan Avenue so many times. Love Gino's Pizza and Rose Bud Restaurant on Rush. I also love Houston's which was in the Lenox Hotel, but I guess that is all gone now. I hope I get back there someday.
    I was there at least 2 to 3 times a year.
    What a great family tradition to go into the city.
    Have a Happy New Year.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Chicago; it's my favorite US city. My husband goes frequently on business and I try to go with him at least once a year. We try to stay within a block or two of Michigan Avenue so that we can walk everywhere. Next time we're going to stay a few days longer to get to the Museum of Science and Industry. Last time we did the architectural boat tour on the river.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, you got that right - hard to get nurses and firefighters altogether! And we just have 1 of each! What a great family day - glad you got to share it with your kids, and us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a fabulous day, Kris! It's hard to believe it was 50 degrees in Chicago yesterday and we are in the deep freeze with 30 below! I've been to Chicago in the summer with my girlfriends and loved it. I imagine it's a beautiful sight with all the storefronts done up for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun day and the warm weather was a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh sounds like the perfect family day. Great fun. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a wonderful trip with the family:) you gotta love 50 degree weather in december! and the store fronts must be beautiful sights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a FaB Family HoLiDay Outing!!! I'm definitely putting *Garrett's Carmel Corn* on my list next time we're in the City!*!*!
    Happy New Year - SOON!
    Hugs - Jeanine Burkhardt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kris, what a fun day!! How great that you got to spend time with family, and had the perfect weather, too! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your day with us Kris! What a wonderful way to spend quality time with your family.
    Marie@TheInteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful family, beautiful day......what more could a girl ask for?? I enjoyed the pics you shared.....Happy New Year! Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sure was a nice day yesterday and glad that you got to enjoy it with your family! Today - not so nice! I love that beautiful hand carved staircase! We are not big city lovers but should make an effort to take the train in to see more things. We did that once with friends and then took the trolly around getting off and on to see the city. Also with family one Christmas to the Christmas tree thing. Our daughter and her husband took us to see Wicked. So many things to do and see there and we should make ourselves do it more often. Thanks for sharing all your fun! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun day! I agree that Chicago is a wonderful city! Just shop and eat yourself into oblivion ~ :) Glad you had such a great family experience.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your day out in Chicago, it looks like you all had a fun time. I hope you had a nice Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  17. this makes me want to visit Chicago, we've never been. Lovely to see you out and about with family

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful outing with the whole family! It looks like a fun time too and with yummy food! I've only been to Chicago once, to see a White Sox game, so I really didn't get to see much of the city. We were visiting a friend in Crown Point, IN. Maybe we'll get back out your way one day - but when it's warmer! It's cold and rainy here today and I've already seen people wishing for spring on Face Book LOL! Personally, I wouldn't mind a nice, quiet weekend in a cabin with snow covered woods. Sounds good! Hugs, Leena

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have expected you to have snow! sounds like a fun fall day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kris thank you for showing me around. It looks wonderful. You look like you had a wonderful day.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you all had a great time!! It is so fun to get away with family.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kris, what a fun tradition! I have only been in the Chicago airport. Would love to go there someday. That staircase is amazing and prime rib sounds so yummy!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing with us this wonderful and fun tour. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful day you had…I want to eat at Lawry's the next time we are there..it looks like such a gorgeous place to be and eat!…Glad you all had a wonderful time in the city!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kris- What a wonderful day with your family. You are just beautiful and I think your gorgeous daughter looks just like you. How precious is that little Abby? Isn't it hard to even remember what your life was like before she came along and made you a grandmother? Your other pretty daughter looks like hubby!!

    Do you know I have never ridden a train in my entire life? That looks like so much fun!

    God bless you and your family in 2014, Kris- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete

sponsor