Happy New Year everyone!!!! As the new year approaches and I detox from all the yummy and rich foods consumed these past few days I started to think about the months of January and February.  Yuk!!! Here outside Chicago January and February can be so cold and a little dreary.  I kind of have a hard time in those months with the holidays over so I decided to work on a project in my home that I have been thinking about for awhile.

I want to share my ideas with you and I welcome any input or inspiration you have.

When my husband took the job as Fire Chief up this way about 5 years ago and we also became empty nesters, we down sized our home and bought this smaller cottage ranch when we had to move North for the hubby's new job. This house did not have a formal dining room and it had a family room and living room. We hardly ever used the living room so I decided to make the living room into my formal dining room.  I have to say that was a great thing because I have so much room when I have family and friends over for holiday and parties.

My family room was a beautiful addition the previous owners put on the back of the house. I have loved this room as it houses my office and my family room. Very sunny and bright.  The problem with the family room is the layout.  Only one way to put my sectional and TV. I would love to have a little more seating since this is the only seating we have with not having a living room anymore. 

So my brainstorming idea is to flip flop the family room and dining room.  I still would have plenty of room for my dining room in the back and actually the room would work better as a dining area.  It will be right off the kitchen so I could see my guests as I am preparing food etc.  The living room that is now my dining room is wider and bigger so I could add additional seating.

My hubby is so good about all my reno projects and jumps in to help me make these things happen so I really would love to get him a special recliner to relax and enjoy his tv viewing in.  Flip flopping the rooms would give me the opportunity to have more seating.  He really is a trooper with all my cottage chic decor and doesn't mind all the white, creams and ruffles found in my home.  So I would love to give him a nice comfy chair of his own. 

The misson (if I choose to accept!!!) will be to find a nice recliner that will fit with my cottage decor!!!! Ha Ha and still stay masculine for him. Misson Impossible maybe not we will see!!!!!

Here are some pictures of my rooms now and I will keep you posted on my journey to change things around and redo the rooms. Any one in the Chicagoland area is welcome to come over and help!!!!!

Here is a picture of my dining area that use to be my living room.



This is the back of the family room.


This is the family room as you can see the only space for seating is taken up by the sectional. No room for a hubby chair!!!



This is the back of the family room to the left. The previous owners had this all blocked off as a closet. What!!! That lovely window was blocked off too. Had to open that up. This is a weird space and worked as a storage closet but I like it better as my office. That makes more sense to me to have my office back in that space instead of a closet. I will leave my office where it is and come up with a creative way to separate it from the new dining space.

Well dear blogging friends I will keep you posted as the journey of the flip flop begins.  I am excited to be having this project under way.
Kris
:)

29 comments

  1. Kris, I think your home is beautiful as it is..but I know what you mean about space. Our home is small and only certain ways it can be furnished. Nice ceiling mounted drapes/curtains could take care of the office space, if you flip your rooms around. If the LR is bigger than your familyroom...then I would flip them. A round table cane seat many in a small space. Good luck honey. Show us what you decide. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family room is set up the only way it can be.We have two recliners and a sofa.I want to recover them somehow eventually.They are too dark for my home now.Since we have a fireplace it takes up a wall and our television/entertainment center( I never share it in photos a must have but I don't like it) takes up the other wall.I can only change accessories in mine.
    Your home is beautiful! LOVE your dining room and family room too.Sectionals can be tricky.Can you break them up and still add a recliner?
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great idea...can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it will turn out lovely! How nice that you can do it. I have a living room with a Huge fireplace... It takes up half of my living room! And I live in Florida so we hardly ever use it...Maybe one day I will tear it down and do a major reno...

    Blessings,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is so Lovely and I Hope the flip-flop turns out as you Envision it. We live in a very Old 100 year old Homestead so I can totally relate to layout issues. Love this Old House but we had to get Creative about the use and Purpose each room would have... but the one quirk we kept because we love it was the two kitchens. Handy since we use the smaller front one as a Breakfast, Snacking and Entertaining Kitchen and the larger Farmhouse sized one in the back for usual Kitchen Duties, bigger meals and bigger Vintage Kitchen Furnishings. So glad I found your Beautiful Blog this Afternoon!

    Blessings and Happy New Year from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not quite sure how I ended up here, but I am delighted that I did. I love your home! I am becoming your newest follower. That office is adorable - it would be a shame to hide it from view. Can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a great idea to me, Kris. I have a friend that just did basically the same thing and she loves it. How about a soft soft beige leather recliner? I can't wait to see more! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana,
      That is what I am hoping to find. The search is on!!!! Like I told Lynn why can't they make something cottage chic in recliners!!!!!!
      Kris

      Delete
  8. it's going to be fun to watch the changes, kris:) i'm struggling with an ugly recliner right now, maybe, what you come up with will help me:) happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha!!! Why can't they make something cute in a recliner to match our decor?!!!!! I am looking. I think I may try and find a wing chair recliner in a light leather to hopefully blend with the white slipcovered sectional!!! Not sure what I will find. I just would really love to give my husband something he can really relax and enjoy since he is so good about all my romantic and white cottage decor. The search is on!!!! I will keep you posted.

      Kris

      Delete
  9. the flip sounds like a great idea! nice door outside to the deck/patio would work well for overflow when you have dinner parties, would make for a great focal point for people dining as I'm sure your outside is just as lovely as the inside! would make for more intimate dining too and then give you the relaxing area you need for company in the new living room. can you find a nice wing back recliner and slipcover it in some of the neutral color scheme? or a down filled french inspired chair for your sweet hubby? again, post pictures to inspire all of us! Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see the changes! About the recliner...I was thinking tan or a light beige would look really good with your whites.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your home is just lovely ! I have a similar style and colors and we have a brown leather recliner. It was a Craiglist freebie and I would have never thought to pick it but I love it. It sits next to an armoire painted white and distressed with carved flowers and I think it adds a masculine balance.

    I'm excited to see your pictures as you change things around !


    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm terrible at picturing what you are saying but...your home is so beautiful that I have no doubt you'll be successful with your changes. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to have it now!!! Your home is absolutely gorgeous. I have faith in your taste, but for me it's already perfection.
    Wishing you a happy and blessed new year. Can't wait to see what you do.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband has to have his recliner. Since he is the chief cook (gourmet) and bottle washer, he definitely deserves a comfy place to sit after his hard work. We found a great leather recliner that does not look like a recliner. We were able to custom order the chair to pick the color of leather, weight, etc. I wish I could remember the brand. The chair just looks better with age.

    Good luck on your hunt - that is half the fun. I just got back this morning from our Christmas vacation and spent the day moving vignettes around - and some furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks just lovely as it is, but I know you'll find a way to make it work better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your home. Recliners are a must for me. Are you aware that recliners come in many different styles, colors, etc. as well as sizes to fit different body types. I suggest your husband go along to actually sit in the chairs to select what is most comfortable for him. Then if it is not the color you want, you could order it in your choice. There are also recliners that sit away from a wall and recliners that can be placed next to the wall. If you have room you may want to select a recliner for yourself to sit next to him. Hope you do this project. He will appreciate the comfort and your thoughtfulness. Can't wait to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think a distressed leather recliner in a very soft tone brown color would be gorgeous in your white decor and maybe add a vintage worn soft wood color piece of furniture to tie it in would work great. Love your little office too. I bet that is so much fun to work in. Happy happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn,
      It is fun to work in that office. It gets sun (when we have it) all day long so it is sunny and warm always in there. I am hoping to find a distressed leather recliner maybe in a club or wing chair design too. I have in my mind what I want I just have to find it!!!! Happy New Year to you too.
      Kris

      Delete
  18. I am totally into making spaces work, regardless of what the original intention was. I am constantly reworking and repurposing my rooms. As my needs change, or I figure a "better use" for a space, it evolves into something else. I think your plan is a great one, and I am sure you will be able to find the perfect recliner!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Evening Kris! I LOVE the FLIP idea, can't wait to see more! There will be something out there for hubby! I wouldn't get an OVERSIZED, TOO BIG recliner unless your hubby needs one. I do think the "right" soft leather could work but would continue to look for neutral fabric as well! And I would be over in a pea-pickin minute to help but I'm too far away! I will be with you in spirit though! LOL! Have a Blessed and wonderful New YEAR! Roxie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxie,
      I wish you lived closer too. We could have a great time fliping these rooms!!!!
      I think I am going to look for a club or wing type recliner to stay with the cottage look. I know what I want in my mind I just have to find it. I will stay on the smaller size I do not like those large over stuffed ones. Happy New Year dear friend.
      Kris

      Delete
  20. I had to laugh--I'm the same--always changing--but always for the better! I love your idea and know it will be a fun journey. I'm working on our living area, too, and have found so much inspiration from your blog! Hope you don't mind if I copy cat a few. . .
    Farmhouse Blessings!
    Dru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dru,

      You are so sweet and copy away!!! Greatest form of a compliment in my book!!! I am going to get my Christmas decor down this week end and then the journey will begin. I am excited I love change and I really feel the rooms will better suit our needs by fliping them. Stay tuned I will post as I go!!! I can't wait to see your living room changes.

      Kris

      Delete
  21. My breath was taken away looking at your gorgeous house! Oh what talent and taste you have.
    I aspire to be you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kris! Do you have an email I can contact you at? I'd like to put you in my address book so I can easily respond to your comments on my blog :)

    Thanks! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, I'm over from Shabby Story who recommended we visit with you and I'm glad she did :D I too am Going White and blogging about that process, ( I type with white paint on my hands lol) and have created a new blog devoted to White, Silver and Crystal, here: http://whitebohemianbeauty.blogspot.com/
    Please visit when you can. I'm very inspired by other Lovers of White and would love to have a White Community grow. blessings, lady

    ReplyDelete

sponsor