Saturday Spotlight: Life behind the blogger





Debbie from Mountain Mamma

 Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger is a feature done each Saturday that introduces you to a blogger you may already know or a new blogger for you to get to know. This feature gives you a peak into the personal life of the blogger.  Getting to know the special person behind the beautiful blog.

There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland so enjoy getting to know these talented bloggers each Saturday.



Happy Week End following Turkey Day!!!! Hope you are enjoying all the friends and family that have gathered this week to share in Thanksgiving.

Now that we are all recovering still from all that rich and yummy food.  I invite you to meet a fairly new blogger to me.  I found Debbie not too long ago and adore her blog.  You will love getting to know this special blogger.










First of all, a huge thank you to Kris for inviting me to her fabulous feature - I was so excited and honored that she thought of me!!  

Thanks so much, Kris - big hugs to you!! xo


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H, All!

I'm Debbie! Nice to meet you!!

I recently bought my very own house in the mountains of Upstate NY and I write about my life at MountainMama  - if you haven't been over for a visit perhaps you'll make time soon to come over and introduce yourself! I'm always so happy to meet new blogland friends!

I was inspired to start writing about my life as a 40+ single woman buying her own house for the very first time - and I'm loving it! Both the house and the blogging!!

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Where do I begin?

Why, at the beginning, of course, where else?

I still can't play the piano. Sigh. 
I was born in Queens, NY back in....oh, wait, you don't need to know that. Never mind....

I have two sisters - one older and one younger. We are each two years apart. You know what they say about the middle child, right? Yup, much of it's true.

I'm the bratty looking one on the left
I am first-generation American - both of my parents are from Ireland. They both left home when they were very young to pursue a better life in the USA.

We were raised on Irish music and dance. My sisters and I all attended Irish music lessons as well as Irish Step-dancing from a very young age. It was very much a part of our lives and we made many good friends through not only the classes but the various competitions and concerts.

My parents were strict - we weren't those kids that were permitted to "hang out" after school. We had to come straight home....an hour of practicing music, then time to practice our dance steps, and then do all our homework. Dinner, clean up after dinner, and then a little TV. Brush teeth and into bed. Repeat. 

Sundays were different - up early, out to mass, and then stop at our favorite bakery on the way home for a Sunday treat. Fresh rye bread with butter. Maybe a jelly or custard donut. And we didn't have to practice music or dance - Sunday was our day to do what we wanted.

As long as Mom said it was ok.

We weren't those kids that hung out in the park getting into trouble. Mom kept a close rein on us.

And I thank her for it now. A lot of those kids ended up in very bad places in their lives. Queens wasn't the easiest place to grow up.

We went to catholic school - in Queens the public schools back then were not the best place to send your kids if you wanted to keep them out of trouble.

My parents struggled. Things were tough. Dad had a bunch of jobs and they were still struggling to make ends meet. We refer to that portion of our life as the "Campbell's Soup Days." 

Eventually Dad made the tough decision to head off to Alaska to work on the Alaskan Pipeline. He was gone for what seemed like an eternity to Daddy's Little Girl (aka ME!)

Via
He would come home around Christmas time for a short while and then head off again. I missed him terribly.

But that made a big difference in our lives. Dad was able to send home enough money to get ahead of the bills and to make a good life for his family.

Life was good. We had a good childhood. The highlight of my childhood was the summer Dad returned from Alaska....we bought a travel trailer and took the whole summer traveling around the United States. 

Via
We saw 26 states that summer in our little Shasta trailer.

I have dreams of doing that again someday.....

When I was 17 I met my first husband. I married him at 21. Had my first daughter at 22. Second at 23. Divorced by 26. Single mom with two beautiful baby girls.


When I was 27 I met my second husband. Married again at 30, I thought it would be forever. It wasn't. 

I wrote about the struggles I went through in that marriage over  At The Women's Room

Me - AKA Morticia Addams - with the Violin
I had a nice little music career going when I was in NYC - lead singer with a Celtic Rock band. I also played violin, guitar, and whistle with that group. It was a fun time and I enjoyed my time on stage very much. Unfortunately I had to give it up when I dropped everything to care for my then-husband for a solid year after one of his terrible accidents. 

Life wasn't always easy. I guess it never is. But I am so blessed to have my two beautiful daughters. There are so many people who have kids who struggle with addictions these days and my heart truly goes out to them - I'm incredibly fortunate that my daughters never went down that road. They easily could have, I'm sure they had lots of friends who dabbled....but thankfully they listened to some of my lectures while they were growing up and chose to stay on the straight and narrow. 

Although you'd wonder what they were smoking in this photo, wouldn't you?


My older daughter currently lives in Burlington, Vermont. She attended Champlain College in Burlington and loved it so much she never came back to NY. She's been a blogger since 2013 - she writes at Kind of Mind and has always been a wonderful writer and incredibly creative person. She's got energy to burn and has never stopped talking since the day she said her first word. She's got the travel bug and has been all over the world already - Africa, South Africa, South America, The Middle East, Europe - not to mention all over the US as well. She's seen more in her short life than I have in mine. But that's ok - that's what makes her happy.

I'm happy right here.

My younger daughter lives at home with me. She went to school locally and is much more a homebody than her big sister. She's also a blogger - she writes at The Good Things Comin and she's a bit of a new blogger, just like her mom. She's always had a knack for photography and her own unique style when it comes to fashion and she incorporates that and so much more in her blog.

I'm so lucky to have two such wonderful daughters and I thank my lucky stars every day.


Even when they drive me nuts.

I have two little furbabies who also drive me nuts at times. But they also light up my life. They are mother and daughter and my old girl is getting up there - she was 13 in September. Her baby is 6 now and sometimes she's as bratty as can be....but when she's good, she's really, really good!!

Baby Daisy & Her Mommy, Lily
My old girl, Lily. She's got a tough life, as you can tell. 
The bratty baby, Daisy (AKA The Monkey) - also a rough life, as you can tell by the worried look on her face. 
I'm very fortunate to have a good man in my life now also. We have been in a relationship for 5 years now and yet we have our own homes and choose to live separately. Once bitten, twice shy, and all that....what about twice bitten? How does that go?

This is the first "grown up" relationship I've been in, where both partners are responsible adults. We look out for each other - neither of us needs to "babysit" the other. It's refreshing after all I've been through!


And it's peaceful. We have a good life.

I am so blessed.


Thank you Debbie for sharing your life behind your blog with all of us.  Don't miss out on hoping over to introduce yourself to Debbie.  Her blog is fabulous.  Have a great week end.
Kris
:)

40 comments

  1. Debbie's blog is wonderful! What a beautiful picture of her and her daughters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacey!!! Thanks for visiting me here at Kris's fabulous blog!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kris,
    I really enjoyed reading about a new blogger that I did not know. What a great story!
    Going to go and visit her blog now.
    Have a wonderful weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, Kimberly! Looking forward to your visit!!

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous trio of women with the brightest eyes! And those Jack Russell terriers are TOO CUTE TO HANDLE! (and too smart, too!)

    HI KRIS! Are ya lovin' the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your way too generous compliment!! And those little Jack Russells are quite the characters for sure!! xo

      Delete
  4. Debbie is a wonderful blogger and person - she's so open and honest. So fun getting to know more about her. Her daughters are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie is truly an inspiration. She and her girls are beautiful. And talented! A great feature Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Debbie and her blog! She is an absolute natural when it comes to writing, and I can identify with so many topics that she writes about. Thanks, Kris, for shining the spotlight on this very talented, sweet woman. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww my lovely friend Mimi - thank you for popping over to Kris's blog today and visiting me here!! xoxo

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the link to Debbie's blog. I enjoyed reading her post here and enjoyed visiting her blog.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet blogger you have introduced me to Kris. I will head over and say hi. Have a great weekend. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris - I have to send the most ginormous hug your way and a huge thank you for helping me meet all these wonderful blog friends!!! I'm so honored that you featured my little blog today and I'm loving every minute of sharing my life and home with all these terrific people! Thanks again, Kirs - I"m so glad I "met" you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kris, well friend another fun spotlight introducing Debbie. I am looking forward to following her blog. Debbie loved your share, my Brother Mike lived in up state New York (Jamestown and Lakewood). His final resting place is still there, I remember the drives to visit and our stays in beautiful New York state. Congratulations on your purchase, a delightful achievement in home ownership. Your photo of your daughters and you - smiling pretty faces beaming with pride and love. How cute Daisy and Lily are, Jack Russell's make the best fur babies, independent blessed with smart minds and playful as can be! See you in Blogland!
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vera, for all your sweet thoughts!! It's such a pleasure to "meet" you and I look forward to getting to know you better!

      Delete
  11. Another great introduction Kris! I have recently been checking out Debbie's blog and love it-gald to know her better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved getting to know more about Debbie! I am enjoying following her blog! Lovely photos and feature!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew much of this about you Debbie, but somehow the Shasta trailer experience slipped through the cracks. I had to smile at that picture of Lucy and Ricky (although that wasn't their names in that movie as you probably know). What a great experience to have as a child, and I see you want to do it again someday. Me too! Maybe we can do a caravan?!

    Thanks for featuring Debbie, Kris. She's a sweetheart and a great addition to the world of blogging!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh my friend Doreen - yes, you've been paying attention!!!

      The Long, Long Trailer was a favorite movie of mine....perhaps because of the Shasta experience as a child?! A caravan would be wonderful - with your BAM!! Ooooh I bet we'd have so much fun!!! xoxo

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kris, It's going to be fun to follow Debbie's blog. Thank you for her feature today. Blessings to you, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I follow Debbie too ! love her nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blogging is in that family's blood! I've become good friends with Debbie. She's a great writer!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went over and checked out Debbie's blog. Thanks for the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How lovely to meet you Debbie!
    My father was born in Ireland too.
    I visited there earlier this year and loved it - I felt I belonged!
    I'll pop over and say hello.
    Thank you Kris dear for introducing us to another interesting blogger.
    I love this series.
    Hugs
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Headed over to meet this spunky gal. I like her! Thanks for the feature on her,Kris. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another great blogger to meet ~ thank you, Kris! She and her daughters are gorgeous and I must check out all 3 blogs.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun to see Debbie here today, Kris! I love learning all of these random facts about her...especially her hidden musical talents! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Kris,
    Thank you for this Spotlight. Off I go to visit Debbie.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  24. A three-for-one, with Debbie and her two blogger daughters! I've recently gotten to know Debbie, and think her blog is just great. It was nice getting to know more about her!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Kris for the feature for my mom, she deserves it so much! Her blog is a true representation of her and she has been working really hard on it! Also, thank you everyone for the sweet comments and support! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Debbie is such a sweetheart and I'm so glad she found me recently. I love how honest and funny she is and it was great to learn more about her. Thank you for featuring her, Kris :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
    I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
    I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
    motorized blinds abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete

sponsor