Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger





Rue from An Old fashioned World 

 Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger is a feature done each Saturday that introduces you to a blogger you may already know or a new blogger for you to get to know. This feature gives you a peak into the personal life of the blogger.  Getting to know the special person behind the beautiful blog.

There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland so enjoy getting to know these talented bloggers each Saturday.


This week it give me great pleasure to introduce you to another fun,talented and unique blogger.  It is Rue from An Old Fashioned World.  Rue's blog is very different and unique to her style and character.  I think that is what I love most about her blog.  It is uniquely her.
So grab that cup of your favorite beverage and read and get to know Rue better.  Then hop over to her great blog and say Hi.






Before I begin, I just want to say thank you to Kris for asking me to be on Saturday Spotlight! I’ve been a fan of this series since I started blogging again and I feel very privileged to be a part of it. In fact, I was quite shocked when she asked me and kind of panicked about what I would write that would be of any interest to all of you, but I’ll try my best :)

So let’s see… 

I go by the name “rue” on my blog. It was a nickname a friend gave me more than 25 years ago and it stuck. My birth given name is Heather.


I dress in vintage clothing or with a vintage look about 90% of the time.

I have a boyfriend that I refer to as either “my honey” or “Mr. Man” (a running joke between us), but his real name is David.



I’m the mother of two grown children, named Alex and Annie. Alex is serving in the military and Annie is living at home and going to college.



I have two fur babies. A chihuahua named Bubba (real name Bear)...


And a rat terrier/ beagle mix named Mini, which is short for miniature, because she looked like a smaller version of our (now deceased) beagle Shiloh.



We’re big on nicknames in this house ;)

I was born in California and lived there for my first 30 years, in three different parts (Arcadia, Santa Ynez, and Pebble Beach), then I moved to Virginia, then Ohio, and now live in the mountains of Arizona. I know what some of you are thinking... "Arizona has mountains?!" Yup and we also have four seasons up here. Don’t feel bad if you didn’t know that. I didn’t either until I started looking for a place to live in this state. 

Here's an example:



I moved here after a divorce, to be closer to my family, that had moved from California. They live down in Phoenix, but it’s too hot down there for me!

As far as blogging…  

a long time ago, I used to have a blog called “rue’s peanut butter and Jelly life”. 


It was all about my life (obviously), my family, my search for an old home, eventually the house that I thought would be my forever home, and the remodeling (or un-remuddling as I refer to it).


You can read more about the house and the blog, on my new blog under “who is rue?”, but in short, I erased it after about 4 or 5 years, because of my divorce. Since the blog was about my life and that part of it was over I didn’t see the need to continue it. Looking back, I consider it to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done. 

Anyway, I missed all my friends in Blogland, so in December of last year, I started An Old-Fashioned World. When I nervously clicked publish, I had no idea what it would be about or if I would even continue it, but eight months later and after reconnecting with quite a few of my old friends, I'm glad I did. 

As it turns out, this blog is kind of the same, but instead of sharing a lot about my family, I mostly share about the way I live my old-fashioned life and my cottage that I'm slowly bringing back to it's 1930s glory.


Looking back, I should have known that a great majority of what I share would be my old house. After all it's what I'm most passionate about ;)

Lastly, I consider myself kind of an oddball in our blogging community, because I don't really fit in with the standard or in any kind of niche. I guess you could say, I go against the grain by living a "vintage life" in a vintage home.

But, it's all true to me and it's what makes me happy.

I hope you'll stop by and see what I mean ;)

xo
rue


Thank you Rue for being in the Spotlight this week.  It was fun to feature your unique style and blog.  Have a great Week End.  
Kris
:)

52 comments

  1. Rue is one of my favorites. I get a kick out of her sense of humor and I adore her lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havé visited her, but not as much as I should to get to know her better.
    I will now visit much more often.... Very good post, love that she touched base on her life, love, and her home.

    Her nick name is the same as my sons, when he was very little not even 3 yet his cousin would call him buddy Rue off of Winnie the Pooh!
    I thought there would have only been one Rue in a life time with such a nick name as Rue?

    Off to visit her :) her home is a sweet as can be.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  3. KRIS! Another lovely and generous moment to share a very enchanting blogger. I LOVE HER HOUSE! I have missed getting over to her blog this week, but now it's time to say hello to Rue again. THANKS! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kris, so glad to see Rue in your spotlight today. She is a long time friend and I just love her to pieces. Her home, life and vintage ways are endearing and a breath of fresh air. I was so glad she was back last December to share with us once again in blogland.
    Beautiful feature!
    Hope you and yours have a safe and happy holiday weekend.
    Hugs, cm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, Thank you featuring Rue. She's interesting....as I truly love vintage everything. I will check her site today. Hope you are enjoying a wonderful weekend. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I didn't know Rue from her first blog, I've gotten to know her since she started blogging again and love her AND her blog! Her home, as well as her personality, is lovely!

    Thank you Kris, and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see this........I used to read Rue's block regularly and suddenly she was gone......I have missed her!! Thank you for the feature....I feel like I got an old friend back!! Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I consider Rue a dear friend. We knew each other way back when. I love her authenticity. Vintage Rue. That's how I often think of her. I am so glad she embraces the old-fashioned lifestyle, complete with using old-fashioned (vintage) appliances in her home. I would bet you they'll be around after the newer ones we have have gone to the junk yard! She is compassionate and real. Both she and her blog are a breath of fresh air.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning everyone :)

    I'm sitting here drinking my coffee with a deep shade of crimson across my face lol All of you are so very sweet and I thank you very much for all of your kind words. I'm practically speechless ;)

    Kris, thank you again. You have no idea what it means to me that you wanted to feature me and my little blog. As I said to you before, I'm really truly flattered and honored.

    (((hugs)))
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can so identify with Rue and her life then and now! Going over to her blog now...thanks for introducing us to her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you featured Rue today, Kris. I've been following her since she re-entered blogland with her new blog. I love her and her vintage life blog. (Hi Rue!) xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great feature, Kris! I love the fact that Rue is so "real" and I'm off to check her blog.

    I hope you're having a wonderful weekend my friend!
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kris you did it again, introduced me to an intriguing blogger! How I adore your Saturday spotlights. Rue love your nickname and think your real name Heather is a lyrical sounding name of beauty. I am heading over to your blog this afternoon to learn more about you and your stunning, stunning, did I say STUNNING home.
    xo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's our vintage girl! Rue is a humdinger of a blogger--her lifestyle and passion for authenticity, a house that welcomes us inside, Bubba and Mini who are never far away from their mother as she cooks in her apron in that kitchen that is like a 1930s kitchen come to life, only so much better. Being able to follow along as Rue takes this charming Tudor house back to its heyday is always a pleasure.

    And to top it off, our darling Rue is a sweetheart of a real lady--those vintage clothes she wears aren't for show, they reveal the lady that was influenced so much by the women in her family who have gone before her.

    Thank you, Kris, for spotlighting Rue!

    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy Rue's blog, and her vintage sense of style. Not "oddball," Rue, unique! Finding a way to be unique in this big blogosphere is no easy task, but Rue has found a niche, and mastered it, no doubt because it is truly authentic, through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just discovered Rue when she came back to blogging and I love her sense of humor and her passion for vintage! Great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you honey! Vintage everything is fine with me. I love your cottage home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, thank you for featuring Rue, one of my first Blog friends. I loved her then and loved when she returned to Blogland. I am struggling to stay above water with blogging but I just can't seem to give it up. Rue's story about coming back to blogging keeps me going.

    Message to Rue, great story of your life as a blogger then and now. Your posts are always fun, full of humor and I love your vintage outlook. Your journey with your love of returning your previous home and now your cottage to it's past glory is of great interest to your many fans and I am definitely one of them.

    Last...when I think of Annie in college, it makes me realize how fast time has flown by in our lives.

    Love,
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kris, glad to meet Rue! She's sounds like an amazing lady! Anybody who loves vintage just has to be. lol! When I first spied her photo I thought she looked like a vintage movie star. Gorgeous!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rue is new to me so I'm so glad to get acquainted here and anxious to visit her blog.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm looking forward to reading Rue's new blog, I remember the old one!
    I'm cuckoo for vintage, so I'm sure I'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rue is a favorite blogging friend and this was a great post to read here today.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay...so those houses? Yeah. I'm visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love Rue and the unique perspective she brings to the blog world. She is definitely the "real deal." Thanks so much for featuring her! I'm off to read your other Spotlights!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I adore Rue, I am so glad that we met when she returned to blogging. She makes me laugh with her fabulous sense of humor and she is a truly loyal friend AND she is completely gorgeous! Thanks for featuring her, it's always fun to learn a little more about friends.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rue is perhaps, the most unique lady, in Pretty Blog Land. I am so happy to have found her present blog. She is a delight...

    How she lives, as she chooses. How she loves and lives the era, which speaks most to her. How she shares her home, with us. And how she shares many interesting topics, also.

    Pay a visit to Rue. You will want to return, again and again and again.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rue' s blog - where do I start? I am so happy you featured her and I am looking forward to making her blog a regular stop. Her special style is a breath of fresh air! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Like a lot of the others, I love Rue's blog! She is authentic, down-to-earth, and I love her house, sense of style, and great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Rue is so charming and lovely! Love her style ~ off to visit her.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Kris, thank you so much for filling my life with beautiful sweet blogging friends. Rue seems amazing and it seems that we may have much in common. I will stop over and meet her right now. Enjoy your holiday weekend sweet friend. Hugs, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Rue is one of the sweetest bloggers and like you said, she is very unique. This was such a delightful post and I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about the lovely Rue. Hugs to both of you dear ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rue has always been one of my favorite bloggers! I loved her "PB and J Life "blog and was sad when she closed it down. It was so nice to find her new blog and now read about her life in Arizona! Thank you for profiling her here--it is also nice to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You must never call yourself an 'oddball'. You are unique...I've been down that road. Your new blog is great-as was your previous one. Life offers many chapters and you have pursued them---and we follow!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  34. I loved reading more about you, Rue. What an interesting life you have. I read your Peanut Butter and Jelly Life, and missed you very much when you were gone. I'm so happy you are back. Thank you Kris for hosting. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  35. Rue is new to me and I can't wait to pay her a visit. A great feature Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love reading Rue's blog and her quirkiness is very appealing. Great feature!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've known Rue from the RMS days, and followed her on her two blogs! Very geniune, unique individual, and I love her style! Congrats to Heather on being featured! :) ~Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  38. So lovely to see Rue featured here.
    In the short time I've 'known' her in Blogland, I've always loved hopping over to her blog, for lovely posts and lovely photo's too.

    Have a great week everybody

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  39. I discovered Rue's blog recently, and it now comes in my inbox. I enjoy it, and her cute little Norman cottage is a dream! She seems so sweet, and I think we're lucky she returned to blogging!

    Thanks for featuring Rue, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks so much for the chance to know a little more about Rue. I blogged with her thru Peanut Butter blog and wondered what happened when she quit blogging. Bless her heart....
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh I knew about Ms Rue didn't know about Mr Man LOL
    like her blogging very much

    ReplyDelete
  42. I loved reading more about you, Rue! I always enjoy my visits to your blog! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Rue :-)
    I am going to go check out her blog.
    Thank you for sharing her with us Kris.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  44. Nice to meet you, Rue! As soon as I saw your photo at the top of this post I knew your blog was probably about all things vintage. I'll be heading over there next for a good visit. Thanks Kris for the introduction!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I enjoyed this interview with Rue - ...i love her blog and I'll check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I just discovered Rue a couple months ago, and am so glad I did! She has fast become one of my favorite bloggers. Thank you for sharing here.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Loved Rue then, love Rue now- great pick for a featured "Behind The Blogger", Kris. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great job, This content is very very great content, I got really good information from this content and it helps me a lot, I hope it can help many people like me.
    mosque carpets in abu dhabi

    ReplyDelete

sponsor