Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger


Susan from Must Love Junk, and myself wanted to do a regular feature on our blogs, something unique that hasn't been done before.   So we came up with an idea to 'spotlight the real life behind the blogger' in a more personal way.
There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland, and we thought it would be fun to bring you a closer look at the person behind the blog.

Every week on Saturday we will spotlight a blogger and have them tell us a little bit about themselves and their blogs.  You will be able to see and read about each of the bloggers on both Susan's and my blog. 
Ron from Uptown Acorn
August 23rd

This week for Spotlight is special with getting to introduce you to a very charming and talented man in blog land.  Ron from Uptown Acorn.  I have been just getting to know Ron these past few months and I love everything about him, his life and his wonderful talent that shines through on his blog.  

When I asked Ron if he would do Spotlight I was a little worried he would feel awkward with blogland having so few men and dominated by women and he would decline.  To my wonderful excitement he said yes!!!!  You gotta love a man that is not afraid to step forward and share his personal side with all of us blogland chicks.

What I love most about Ron is he is a true southern gentleman.  His charm and talents have no end and he is my hero with teaching kids.    

Enjoy getting to know Ron.

With blogging, you never know who will be reading your daily thoughts and things. I have been thoroughly amazed with the emails and comments I have received from my readers and followers since 2012. I am so happy today to have been asked to participate in the weekly series, Saturday Spotlight: Life Behind the Blogger. I hope you will follow along.

My name is Ron(ald) Carrier, and I pen the blog, Uptown Acorn. I have written the daily blog most days since January 1, 2012. I started to pen this blog as a suggestion of two very dear friends, Amanda of the oh-so popular Dixie Delights blog and her sister Melanie. It was a leap of faith but something that has become part of my life now.

The name Uptown Acorn has been somewhat shortened from a small custom floral business that I ran out of my home when I lived in Atlanta, The Acorn at Wisteria Hill. You can check out some of my creations HERE. Uptown is the region of New Orleans where I reside, and the acorn is the French symbol of prosperity; hence, the name is joined to form Uptown Acorn.




I live with my partner, J of almost 16 years in a beautiful home on a perfect oak-lined street in Uptown New Orleans. I am originally from Thibodaux, LA, a small town 60 miles southwest of New Orleans. I moved to Atlanta in 2000 where J and I built a custom home in 2004. You can see more of my Atlanta home HERE.




In 2008, J accepted a job with a local news website as a director, and we remain here 6 years later. I am currently a science teacher at a local private school. I teach Earth, physical, and life science to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. I have been a teacher since 1989.






As the subtitle of my blog states: "A great life in the land of unique characters, fine food, creative cocktails, and Southern charm", the Uptown Acorn embodies all of these aspects. New Orleans and south Louisiana is a special place, so I try and share the City and surrounding areas with my readers. I love to eat at the great restaurants New Orleans has to offer. I love to share a cocktail at some of the bars around town. I also love to share the camaraderie of the locals who I meet and befriend.

I love to decorate, and some of my most popular posts tend to be my seasonal changes made to my home. I love the change in seasons because it always signifies changes on the horizon.

Mardi Gras




Summer




Halloween




Fall




Christmas






I am not a trained decorator but have been told that I have a natural eye for decorating spaces. I just love to dabble in all aspects of decor. I have always been one of those kids who loved to arrange and rearrange. I am constantly moving accessories around. You can take a room by room tour of my home HERE.




I have my favorite decor shops here in New Orleans along Magazine Street as well as all across the southeast from Bay St. Louis to Savannah, GA and Amelia Island, FL. I love to accessorize in my decor. I am a believer that one can never have too much. I am constantly moving things around in my home. J jokes that my "junk" storage area could open as a store. I would not consider myself a shopaholic because I usually know what I want, go in to the store, and get out in a flash. 






If I had to describe my style I guess it would be called classic Southern coastal. I love to incorporate elements of Southern design in all aspects of my designs. There is nothing prettier than the things found in nature.




I also love to dress the part of a southern gent. In the spring and summer, I love to don a great seersucker suit complete with bow tie from my fave source, NOLA Couture. As a teacher, there is no pants better to me than a great pair of GAP khakis. Their versatility is outstanding. Gingham and plaid shirts really speak to me. I am much more of a classic dresser who loves it all from Brooks Brothers to J. Crew to Ralph Lauren to deals at T. J. Maxx. I especially love the color navy blue as evidenced in the numerous polos in my casual closet. You can see more of my own southern style HERE.




I also like to entertain. J and I love to host small dinner parties and large affairs in our home. Setting up a beautiful soiree is therapy for me. You can see some of my past soirees HERE.




Lastly, I love the beach. I am a self-proclaimed beach bum. Living in New Orleans, I live just a couple hours from the Gulf of Mexico. Weekend trips to family and friend's camps are easy and accessible. We also love trips to Fairhope, AL, Perdido Key, FL, and Amelia Island, FL. I have always loved time in the sun. Since I am off during the summer months, you will often find me beach or poolside.









I hope this post gives you more insight in who I am. I really hope that you will take the time to look around my site, Uptown Acorn. I would love it if you would follow me along this journey. There are not too many guys in blogland, so I hope you see some unique posts.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of this series.


Cheers from the Uptown Acorn, y'all!



Ron thank you so much for sharing with us and letting us get to know about you and your life.  This was an amazing feature and I enjoyed getting to know you better.  Thank you for being our first brave "man in blog land" to share of yourself.  You are an amazing blogger and a wonderful person that we have all delighted in getting to know better through this feature.
Thank you so much.

Now that you have gotten to know Ron please hop over to Susan's blog and get to know another fun and talented blogger Jo Anne from A Pocket Full of Blue.

Have a wonderful week end.
Kris
:)

29 comments

  1. Way to go, Kris, for inviting Ron as the first guy to be spotlighted! That's great - I love your intros to bloggers I've not met before.

    Ron, hello! It was great getting acquainted with you here, and your all-around style! I will definitely be visiting your blog soon. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! LOVE Rons home and decorating style~~~so beautiful! I will be following~~~Blessings~~~Roxie


    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to meet Ron and see his fabulous home. I will pop over to follow his blog. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great feature, Kris. I loved getting to know Ron and can't wait to go exploring at his blog. Maybe he will be the pioneer to encourage more men to join us in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, thanks for introducing us to Ron. And Ron - so brave of you to sail right over in your seersucker bringing along your beautiful home. I will be visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to see Ron's feature Kris!! Ron is such a great guy...love everything about his blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great feature Kris. Been following Ron for a couple of years now and I luv his style and humour!
    Hugs.
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Ron and his great blog. I've been a follower for awhile now and he is such a gentleman and so talented! Great feature.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow Ron's blog and always enjoy seeing what he's up to. He stays so busy between work and play. I think he lives a pretty grand life! I like to live vicariously through him since he's always traveling and entertaining. I really enjoyed seeing him be featured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      I know I love when he travels too. It is always so much fun to read his posts on all the travel spots. He is truly unique and I love his sense of humor and style. I also love that he is such a good role model for the kids he teaches.
      Kris

      Delete
  10. What a great post from Ron, Kris! I have been reading his posts recently and love not only his decorating but his fashion sense. It is wonderful to learn a little more about him from this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was so nice getting to know Ron and J and seeing their beautiful home! I laughed that he usually goes in the stores and right back out with his purchase just like every man I have ever met with the exception of my husband (most of the time). He likes to go in there and look at everything and it's usually me dragging him out, lol. I love how they decorated their home inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kris, Great post feature from Ron and getting to know him a bit better. I love his blog and his interior decorating and design sense.
    He and J have a gorgeous home!
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ron, thanks for being our first 'male spotlight'! Your home is absolutely gorgeous! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thoroughly enjoyed being the "first". Thanks so much:)

      Delete
  14. Ron is so incredibly talented!! His decorating style and home are gorgeous. Great to learn more about his personal side as well.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Kris for featuring Ron. I have been following him and its great to get to know him better. Yes, he truly is a Southern Gentleman.
    Have a great Sunday,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this looks like such a fun guy with a great blog. I'm going to fix myself another cup of coffee and head on over to Rons blog now! Thanks for introducing him to us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love, Ron! I taught him when he was senior at our local Catholic high school. He wanted to be a doctor then, but eventually, turned his "medical" white lab coat in for a "science" one. His students are so fortunate to have him as his teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great feature on Ron! Uptown Acorn is one of my favorites. Ron has incredible style and is a true southern gentleman.

    ReplyDelete
  19. O, this is a wonderful feature. I think we all love Ron. He is so adorable, fun and such a gentleman.
    Thanks so much for featuring him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed reading and learning more about Ron and will head over there now. I have read his blog on and off and had no idea that we had teaching in common. I honestly thought he was a professional decorator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was great Ron! It's been enjoyable to read your posts and watch your blog develop. You are definitely a southern gentleman and you exude class in everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love following Ron with his decorating in his home and exteriors for each season...and his many travels...He makes us all want to live in the South!!...great feature today Kris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for sharing ron's story, kris! he and j have created a beautiful, gracious home and lifestyle:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Kris, It's wonderful that you could convince a guy to participate :). I enjoyed reading about Ron and had to smile through the whole post. Thank you very much for inviting him and thank you, Ron for sharing your life on Kris' blog.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  25. So nice to get to know Ron! There should be more talented men in blogland. I love his home and his seasonal decor is fabulous! Hopping over to follow.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

sponsor