Susan from Must Love Junk, and myself wanted to do a regular feature on our blogs, something unique that hasn't been done before. So we came up with an idea to 'spotlight the real life behind the blogger' in a more personal way.
There is so much talent and inspiration in blogland, and we thought it would be fun to bring you a closer look at the person behind the blog.
Every week on Saturday we will spotlight a blogger and have them tell us a little bit about themselves and their blogs. You will be able to see and read about each of the bloggers on both Susan's and my blog.
Melissa Shabby Love
Good Saturday everyone. This week I want to introduce you to Melissa from Shabby Love. Please take some time to read and get to know Melissa on a more personal level. Then hop over and check out her blog. You will love her style.
Hey everybody!! I'm Melissa and I blog over at Shabby Love! A huge thank you to Kris and Susan for featuring me in their Saturday Spotlight Series! I'm so happy to be here!
I have to admit, I was a little nervous putting this post together. I have blogged for almost three years now and have shared very little about myself and my day to day life. I generally share projects I'm working on, furniture and room redos, thrifty finds, and updates of my booth. It's not that I'm particularly private, I just feel my personal life is a little boring. :) I mean that in the best, most blessed and content way possible!!
I was born in Grand Blanc, Michigan where I lived until I was nine years old. My two younger sisters and I moved with our dad to Murfreesboro, Tennessee where I lived until I graduated high school in 2001.
When I was a senior I met my husband, Nate. We lost contact for awhile but reconnected when I moved back to Michigan after graduation to be near my mom. We got married in 2007 and welcomed our son, Anderson, in 2009!
Nate and I have worked together for the last nine years at Court Street United Methodist Church. It's the oldest church in downtown Flint, Michigan. I work in the office as the Administrative Assistant and he is the head of maintenance. You would think we would be sick of each other after literally being together 24/7, but we genuinely enjoy each other's company and we have a lot of fun together!
And Anderson....where do I even start with this amazing kid? He's handsome, strong-willed, smart and hilarious. He's kind, curious, a ball of energy, and calls me his beautiful princess. We love him beyond words!
I enjoy reading, cooking, thrift and antique shopping, working on projects with my boys, and I love, love, LOVE movies!!!
Now that Anderson is older and can participate in and appreciate things a little better, we've been introducing him to new things like: roller skating, sledding, and going to the movie theater for the first time. This age is so fun! I feel like a big kid again doing all these things I haven't done in years!
I grew up in a family of collectors and decorators. I have watched my mom over the years decorate and paint furniture and my dad is a very talented artist. Unfortunately, I did not inherit his ability to draw, but my own creativity has come out in other ways - decorating my home, doing projects for my booth, painting furniture, etc.
My mom was the one who introduced me to antique stores and estate sales. We often shop together, bounce ideas off each other, and work on things together. I consider her one of my best friends!
Over the last three years of blogging I have enjoyed the friendships I have formed, the discovery and evolution of my style, and the joy of watching our house transform as Nate and I have worked hard together and learned DIY things along the way. He's a pretty great carpenter and it's been fun watching him explore that talent.
I always love the posts I see other bloggers put together where they share random things about themselves. I thought I would end this post on a fun note with as many random things I can think of about myself.
1. I am left handed (and so is Anderson).
2. Nate and I dislike each other's taste in music so we take turns driving - he drives in the morning, I drive on the way home from work, so we each have a chance to listen to what we like.
3. I listened to nothing but Mumford & Sons in the car for a full year before I finally switched it up to other things (much to Nate's relief). I can't help it. I love them!
4. My other favorite bands/musicians are The Lumineers, The Civil Wars, Of Monsters and Men, The Lone Bellow, Ray LaMontagne, Ben Harper, Dave Matthews Band, and Jack Johnson to name a few.
5. I am a homebody. I just love being home with my boys.
6. I love nature and I love decorating with natural elements, but I am not an outdoorsy girl at all.......outside is where all the bugs are......
7. I hate bugs.
8. I prefer rainy days over sunny days...maybe it's because it gives me a valid excuse to stay inside. Kidding. I love the sound it makes when it hits the leaves on a tree. So relaxing.
9. My dream is to one day live in a farmhouse in the woods with a long tree lined driveway.
10. Most people who don't know me well would call me reserved and quiet, but when I open up to people I'm really a huge goofball. I love to laugh, have fun and be silly.
11. I'm very sarcastic.
12. I get told a lot that I am an old soul that was born in the wrong era.
13. Most of my friends are older than me. I don't often have much in common with people my age. Maybe it's that old soul thing.
14. When Anderson was born, I got to bring him to work with me everyday until he was a year old. It was hard trying to balance work and being a new mom, but I am so grateful for that time with him before we had to send him to daycare.
15. I don't bake much, but I really enjoy cooking and trying new things and new recipes.
16. I put Tabasco sauce on pretty much everything.
17. When we go out to eat somewhere, I almost always order breakfast food if it's on the menu.
18. Reading is was one of my most favorite hobbies.
19. Jane Austen is my favorite author.
20. Pride and Prejudice, Persuasion, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Great Gatsby, The Giver, Bridge to Terabithia, and The Secret Garden are some of my favorite books.
21. My favorite kind of movies are the ones based on books.
22. Coffee, Sweet Red Wine and Dark Chocolate are staples in our home....and Tabasco sauce, of course!
23. My first job, right after high school, was a shirt presser at a dry cleaner.
25. I hope to one day be able to do my blogging/booth/home decor stuff full-time. A girl can dream. :)
Thank you so much for reading and allowing me to share a little more about myself! I hope you will stop by my blog to see all the new things I'm working on. Thank you, again, Kris and Susan for having me!! It was a pleasure! :)
Thank you Melissa for sharing your life and family with us. I hope the day comes that you can blog and have your shop full time. Go for your dream.
Now that you have gotten to know Melissa please hop over to Susan's Blog and meet
another talented blogger Olive from Olive Out.
Have a great week end.